Microsoft is a leader in developing world-class devices and silicon. Microsoft’s Systems & Silicon team develops custom accelerators and System on Chips (SOCs) for Microsoft’s devices that enable planet-scale human empowerment. The Security Center of Excellence within the team is responsible for design and development of Security Solutions (Silicon, Firmware, Hardware).
We are looking for a motivated Security System Architect with a background in security to work on securing next generation portfolio products. The Security Architect will be responsible for understanding the product and customer requirements, and working to define security requirements, architecting, and designing security measures for hardware and firmware components. The Security Architect must be familiar with industry-standard security practices and have experience working with security across all cross sections of silicon, hardware, firmware, virtualization layers and operating system (OS).
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life. Difference makes us better.
You will be on the leading edge of edge computing, building lasting relationships with various cross-functional groups to deliver secure and innovative silicon solutions. You are expected to be technologically versatile, work with limited direction, have attention to detail and be able to provide crisp status of progress, issues, and risks on the program to the management team.
- Responsible for translating product/customer requirements into architecture specifications and engineering requirements for the SoC; hardware, firmware, and the OS
- Responsible for definition of end to end flow of Security Features that span multiple sub systems transcending from manufacturing of the device all the way to server-side services, and through device use-cases
- Work with hardware and software teams to ensure architecture meets customer needs
- Responsible for creating System Threat models, and conducting regular security assessments and audits on security design to identify vulnerabilities, assessing security risk and develop design and mitigation strategies to ensure the best for our customers
- Solid understanding of security primitives, security ciphers, threat vectors, security mitigation strategies to close identified vulnerabilities
- Staying up to date with the latest security trends, threats, and technologies
- 6+ years of related technical engineering experience OR 4+ years technical engineering experience AND B.Sc/M.Sc/PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of work experience in hardware and/or firmware security
- Good understanding of hardware and firmware design principles and practices
- Experience with hardware security modules (HSMs) or TPMs, secure boot, secure firmware updates, attestation, secure recovery and secure debug workflows
- Deep understanding of current and emerging hardware enclave security and hardware virtualization
- Working experience with architecting or implementing industry-standard security protocols, including secure communications), cryptographic algorithms, public key infrastructure, key management technologies
- Experienced at least one significant SOC project carried from incubation through silicon bring-up and validation
- Experience with vulnerability assessment
- Familiarity with operating system security (e.g., Linux, Windows)
- Familiarity and understanding of supply chain security
- Additional area(s) of domain expertise such as CPU arch/uarch, or Neural Processing Unit (NPU) architecture
- Skilled in C/C++/Python and/or Verilog and System Verilog
- Technical leadership skills and communication skills, ability to create clarity across technical stakeholder and customer teams - both written and verbally
- Team player
- Growth mind set
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.