In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a CO+I CE Field Services Engineer (FSE).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I FSE, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action! #COICareers
As a successful CO+I CE Field Services Engineer, your success will be measured by:
Data Center Operations
- Ensures compliance with data center business units and service-level policies.
- Engages with appropriate teams and resources to execute tasks or projects.
- Manages programs associated with area of responsibility.
- Demonstrates conscientiousness on cost adheres to budget requirements; keeps costs reasonable and contributes to staying within budget.
- Follows and adheres to safety and security policies and procedures. Reports immediately any safety or security issues or concerns.
- Participates in Root Cause Analysis (RCA) process as appropriate.
- Maximize Critical Environment (CE) availability in conjunction with our landlord partners at our leased Datacenters and to ensure optimal operational efficiency
- Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment in our leased Datacenters (MOP/SOP/EOP review, RCAs, FMEAs, change governance, and risk mitigation)
- Reduce high-impact and human-error Critical Environment (CE) incidents year over year
- Deliver on cost/energy efficiency initiatives
- Support delivery of the Datacenter’s Emergency Preparedness and Response plans and act as an escalation point for all facilities-related issues within our leased datacenters
- Coordinate, plan, schedule, and supervise CE audits and compliance verification as needed
- Ensure routine reporting to effectively manage and analyze our Power/Temperature/Relative Humidity, and SLA monitoring
- Establish and enhance strong working relationships and engagement with our Engineering Groups (EGs), and Landlord partners (including contributing to MBRs, QBRs)
- Work with regional and global peers to share and build best practices across the entire datacenter portfolio
Data Center Work Environment
- Shares best practices; assists others in learning role, process, procedures.
- Provides mentorship across data centers for specific expertise.
- Seeks training opportunities that meet the interest of the business as well as own career goals and objectives.
- Suggests ways for reducing risk of performing maintenance; works with others to accommodate scheduling needs.
- Suggests improvements in implementation based on depth of understanding.
- Contributes to a positive team environment by learning and adopting best practices.
- Contributes constructively during team meetings and in cross-disciplinary collaborations within the service team.
- In alignment with management priorities, holds self-accountable for the end-to-end service quality, completeness, and resulting customer experience (including but not limited to availability, safety, security, customer service).
- Supports escalation of issues to appropriate owner.
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Qualifications:
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent AND 2+ year(s) industry experience in a datacenter or other critical environment facility,
- OR 3+ years industry experience and college course work.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- 3+ years’ experience in Critical Environment infrastructures (e.g., UPS, Generator, AHU) or IT infrastructures (e.g., Servers, SANs, Networking, Capacity, DC Rack/Enclosures, structured cabling).
- Bachelor’s Degree or Technical College certification in mechanical or electrical engineering and/or services
- Experience working on large scale CE projects
- Experience with the operation of IT infrastructure (Servers, SANs, Networking, etc.)
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.